Tuesday 17 May 2011

Real Nappy Week - Reasons to Go Cloth

Here are a few of my reasons for you to consider using cloth nappies instead of disposables, even if it's just for this week only!


Up to 500 Years in Landfills!
Did you know that 8 million disposable nappies in the UK go to landfills EVERY DAY? That's a lot of nappies that can take as long as 500 years to decompose, yuck! As a cloth user I'm not putting my nappies into bins which then end up in landfills, I own them.

A Saving of £500 or More!
Reuseable nappies make cost more to buy at first, but you are having to constantly buy disposables until they are potty trained. If we include the cost of washing cloth nappies you could be saving £500, more if you keep your cloth nappies and use them on future children. You can also give them to a friend, family member or sell them second hand.

Easy to Use!
I showed my mom how modern cloth nappies work and she was amazed how easy they are compared to when I was a baby. I'm a lazy sod with a fish brain so if I can use them that surely means anyone can!

Washing Made Simple!
The idea of washing them in our small 2nd floor flat did freak me out originally, but it's not how I imagined it. I just throw used nappies into the washing machine with a bunch of other clothes that need washing, put in the washing liquid into the drawer and turn on the machine. Most of the time we use a 30C wash, but if they are badly soiled then I will use a 40C (I rarely do but sometimes a 60C is required) so it doesn't cost extra to wash them, and since we don't have that much in the way of light colours we tend to put use our "Mini" wash which is a cycle our machine offers for small loads, saving water and energy.

Funky Colours!
Cloth nappies come in all sorts of colours, fabrics and patterns. They are super cute looking and feel very soft. Why not give your little one a bit of fashion on that adorable bum of theirs and get yourself some super cool cloth nappies? Go on!

I hope these reasons make you consider giving cloth nappies a try. Have fun and remember to keep an eye out for some more Real Nappy Week fun at Petit Mom!

2 comments:

Bloggomy said...

A great precise and helpful list of reasons - let's hope we raise awareness and get some new cloth nappy users in our gang :)

Unknown said...

I love the thought of real nappies but not the washing aspect.I'm a mum of 5 and do enough washing as it is.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...